Sunday, November 13, 2005

Crazy skates

As I sit for hours on end in the impossibly fridgid starbucks at Astor Place, i watch the skateboarders and dream of what the kids these days call 'big air'. These skates are pretty crazy looking. I think they just made the Xmas top -15.

That being said, I, a relatively fit and agile young man, am still paying the price for rejecting the basic rule of physics as told by my girlfriend, that though one lay claims to being young at heart, no one, over the age of 25 may sucessfully learn to skateboard.


The main problem with learning to skateboard, is that you don't seriously injure yourself immediately. This allows you time to tell everyone you know how cool it is that you are reclaiming your youth, thus making the fall all the greater when you have to pretend you don't hear all your colleagues snickering and tut-tutting at the road rash running the length of your face.

I guess it's just wiser to let the kids in Astor Place dazzle me with their hair-raising car-dodging maneuvers. They are pretty briliant. Heck, I'm used to living vicariously and I'm happy not to compare myself to any person brave enough to ride on tiny little wheels on NYC'c potholed
streets.

On the subject of Astor Place, the blogs are all astir with talk of the giant cube which is set to return to Astor Place tomorrow, following the completion of construction of the Sculpture for a living building (which personally i think is pretty hot). I look forward to meeting said cube personally.


See also: the great transformation of the cube.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kieran said...

the cube did not return today as scheduled. evidently it is to be back at the end of the month. http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2005/11/14/alamo_is_back_t.php#comments

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home